Hands up who was happy to get home from the tournament yesterday?
Oh, that’s right, you’d raise your hand but your shoulder is still frozen from standing in the rain for 7 hours yesterday!
Aren’t you all glad we play in a ‘summer’ league?!
For anyone fortunate enough not to be in the Chichester/Westergate area yesterday, it was a bit wet. To say the least.
And our fortunes on the field were about as bright as the sky, with neither team racking up the victories they were hoping for.
It wasn’t all doom and gloom though, as despite the weather, both teams put in a spirited performance. Just looking at the score sheet, you can see some bright spots…
- Makos put up 3 TDs on the Mayhem
- Sharks lost by just a point against the new american team, London Warriors
- Toby got his first touchdown – an interception return no less!
- Luke put up some cracking runs, including a very looooooooong one against the Mayhem
- Sean scored a TD (against the Sharks) – lets hope that doesn’t prompt another retirement!
- Only 2 INTs for Thierry – and NINE TDs
- 13 TDs for Neil, with 4 INTs
- 3 TDs on the day for Luke and 2 for Matt on his Makos debut
- 5 TDs for Pete despite only playing 2 games before injuring his back
- 5 TDs for Lambo – 3 in one game against the Mayhem – 2 of them the length of the pitch
Those are just some of the headlines. But its more than just who scored what. Yesterday was a terrible day to be outside playing football, yet everyone played hard. It was an encouraging team performance. Well done to all that played.
The final scores:
Makos 22 – 44 Mayhem
Warriors 21 – 6 Voodoo
Mayhem 40 – 7 Voodoo
Warriors 25 – 24 Sharks
Makos 20 – 27 Sharks
Makos 6 – 12 Voodoo
Mayhem 19 – 7 Warriors
Mayhem 33 – 26 Sharks
Makos 18 – 29 Warriors
Voodoo 21 – 7 Sharks
Team W-L F A Pts +/-
Mildenhall 4-0 136 62 +74
Warriors 3-1 82 67 +15
Voodoo 2-2 46 74 -28
Sharks 1-3 84 99 -15
Makos 0-4 66 112 -46
I’ll update the league standings shortly. I’m also keeping track of the scorers, interceptors and sackers this season, so I’ll get on to update that soon and add it to the site.
Other things I noticed on Sunday
- Hardest opposition hit: Pete getting level – illegally might I add – in the endzone on a PAT
- Best Makos play: Luke scaring the bejezzus out of Mayhem by taking the lead with a very long TD
- Best Sharks play: Either of the 2 long TDs that Lambo scored against Mayhem. They were good passes, but it was all Lambo weaving through the Mayhem defense
- Muddiest patch of earth: inside the tent by the end of the day
- Generous pass of the day: No, not Neil’s errant heave against the Voodoo that went back for a TD, but Luke organising a Tournament Trophy for the victorious Mayhem
- Saving Grace of the Day: the hand dryer in the Gents. Enough said.
Anyone else got anything they’d like to add to that list? Leave your comments below please 🙂
Finally, thank you to our intrepid band of spectators for coming out to support us yesterday, and also to hobbled Mako, Steve, for helping with the organising and score and stats keeping.
Contrary to what some of you may have heard on Sunday, training is on this coming weekend, so hopefully we’ll see as many of you as possible there.
Have good weeks all, and please do leave some comments to contribute to this report.